After a blissful season of memory making travels with Ramona, it was finally time to start our renovation project. Step one: Take out all the things. On demo day Tom and I stood in the trailer with our tools in hand looking around with no idea where to even begin. Finally I said “find a screw and start unscrewing it.” So we did and after a weekend (of mostly Tom’s work…I ditched him for other plans) the interior furnishings and most parts were out.
Demo was a fairly simple project. All we needed toolwise were drills for unscrewing screws, ⅛ drill bits for drilling out rivets, sawsall for pipes and such, some muscles, a place to keep a giant pile of trailer parts, some good tunes and maybe a beer.
I had some guilt about removing such classic vintage furnishings and I refused to add to the landfill anymore than necessary so we kept all the parts with intention of reselling them. Just because we decided to completely re-do our tiny home doesn’t mean there isn’t a need for all the things we took out. Lots of people restore their trailers and these old parts are treasures. With the help of Facebook and the Airstream community I was able to find new homes for almost all of our parts. It was a win, win win…. We made some extra funds for our project, kept the things out of the landfill and gave joy to multiple families restoring their dream trailers.
Project time: 15 hours